Friday, June 13, 2014

Thing 23 - Evaluate 23 Mobile Things

Once again, I've enjoyed going through this process and learning new "Things" along the way. 

I'm going to answer the first number of questions together. By participating in this activity, I finally took the time to learn more about my iPhone (and update it!). I purchased an iPad. And I'm working with a Chromebook from school. Having all of these devices together was extremely helpful during the process because I could look at what was similar and what was different. As I mentioned earlier, we are in a state of transition and piloting both iPads and Chromebooks. So it was interesting to compare and contrast.

I will be using a number of the apps and adding them to my website as well such as Elm4You (with an explanation of the mobile version) and the Hennepin County Library app. In addition, as I said in one of my posts, I will be working on highlighting these apps for my staff and students so that they can easily find them and try them out. A couple others I really liked were Dragon Dictation and learning more about options for Infographics.

Regarding connecting with others, I did look through some of the blogs, and I'm hoping you post some of the user recommended apps. I suppose one positive feature of 23 Things is that you can complete the activities anywhere at any time on your own. So I didn't feel directly connected. But connected enough. It would be nice to promote in my school. So perhaps opening it up to teachers again is something to consider. 

As far as improvements, I liked that this version was very focused. The first round of 23 Things had a great deal of fabulous resources to read and go through. I did finish, but not on time. While completing the activities this time around, I did find myself checking the various devices I had on hand. So perhaps including Chromebooks in some way.

I would definitely participate again.

Description: mobile + learning = engagement (and fun)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa! Congratulations on finishing. I'm glad that you learned from the program and that you're going to be able to share what you've learned with others in your school. Thank you for your thoughtful posts over the last few months.

    Don't forget to email minn23@gmail.com for your badges, if you haven't already.

    I hope you keep exploring apps. Best of luck with your school's iPad/Chromebook pilot.

    -Kaia, 23 Mobile Things Coach

    ReplyDelete