Saturday, May 3, 2014

Thing 11 - Library & Reference

This Thing was very helpful! I'm aware of these many apps, but once again, I hadn't taken the time to review them and add them to my website for users. So much to do, but so little time! 

I loved the Hennepin County Library app. It was so streamlined and simple to navigate. I think the Hennepin County Library system rocks, so it was nice to be able to access the site so easily. Students will appreciate this too - I often check Hennepin County and let students know how easy it is to request a book if we don't have what they are looking for.

I also knew that Follett had apps, so I finally loaded Destiny Quest. Again, I will have to promote this to our students. I see an app page in my website's future.

Finally, I tried out Elm4You.org on my phone. I have the ELM databases set up on my website. I know that students have been having issues accessing the EBSCO options from mobile devices off site through the school. I assumed this was because of authentication. But I just tried via the ELM4You site and had no issues. I will contact the people at ELM (also rocks), but this could be the answer to an issue that I haven't been able to address to date. The more I have been promoting the ELM databases, the more our students use them. So this option will definitely help.

No comments:

Post a Comment